Thursday 28 October 2010

CH - Digipack ideas

During concept development, Josh had a brilliant idea as to the design of our digipack, to take influence from one of indie artist Jamie T's album covers.
However, whilst doing further research I began to investigate other ideas as back up should our original idea fall through. I looked into clothing, conventions, lighting and coupled with the research of my peers we have a well-rounded knowledge of indie culture.
To the left is a photograph that was taken by one of my colleagues last week as she found the layout particularily interesting. She showed it to me, as three of the characters present in the photograph are in our music video, and thought I would be interested in it. I immediately loved this photograph; the aesthetics are excellent, heavy with connotations and iconography that are only present by chance, therefore I was very excited as to how a finished piece would look had we set it up purposefully.
The photograph above has been made brighter, with less colour saturation and slightly higher contrast than usual; I completed these changes with the prior knowledge of photo manipulation that we explored last year. Below is another manipulation of the same image.
The photograph to the right has been made brighter, the midtones made darker, the contrast made significantly higher and the colour saturation at near maximum.
I made these changes to both images using fairly rudimentary software, Microsoft Image Manager. Upon returning to school, I may begin work in software such as Adobe Photoshop, within which I am far more comfortable as well as being granted far more freedom.
To the left is a quick sketch I made of the 'Good Boy' (centre shot); as we have two art students in our group, maybe something we could look into is the use of graphic design in our digipack idea. However, with the wonderful software we have available to us, we should be able to achieve similar results using editing techniques.
I shall discuss this digipack idea with my colleagues as we further our concept during filming.

3 comments:

  1. These photos are great and are definitely well suited to our genre of music. I really like the changes you have made to the original photo because I feel the use of effects is something that we will do when it comes to creating our digipak. We will definitely have to mess around more with photoshop when we get back to school...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rosie :) i just immediately really liked them, even my father said 'it looks like an Oasis band cover' which is great as they are indie... do you have any photos? i thought maybe we could experiment with a few..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I have quite a few, I'll bring them in on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete