Tuesday 7 December 2010

CH - Digipack Images Finalized

Above and below are the digipack designs that I have been photoshopping over the recent weeks. After scanning in the images I had drawn, I found that the quality was greatly diminished; this lead to the overall aesthetics being less effective than I had anticipated.

Therefore I decided to create a different effect by using techniques used in illustration. I remodelled the contrast and brightness to create a thick, bold line drawing which is instantly recognisable; I used a 'burn' tool to create shadows and highlights in the areas I had shaded in pencil (but had not been scanned due to scanning inefficiencies).
Next, I used a 'magic wand tool' which essentially selects a certain area for manipulation. Hereafter I was able to block colour certain areas in minimal time with maximum aesthetic impact.
I had to decide whether to use colour in my images, as they create very different effects; as is evident, I finally chose to only shade in greyscale. This is reminiscent of illustrative works, such as cartoons or graphic novels. I like this, as it is breaking with forms and conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment