Friday 24 September 2010

RC - Skills - Brighton Reccie


Why is a reccie an important part of the planning process?
A reccie is a very important factor of the planning process, as it is an invaluable piece of research that helps further our development work, technically and conceptually. It allows us to practice doing a variation of camera shots, angles and
movements, giving us some indication as to which of these we may wish to include in the filming of our video. Doing a reccie also means we have some idea of a location for our shooting, as it either tells us that we want to film where we carried out the reccie, or somewhere else if we do not like the feel of the reccie location.

What was the brief?
We were given a set list of camera shots by our teachers to be carried out whilst in Brighton, our aim was to complete this list within the time limit that we had and then after doing so to come up with a few shots of our own. The whole p
oint of this trip was to be introduced to the new cameras but to also see what this location had to offer us in terms of ideas and creativity.

Where did I go?
Josh and I went to a number of different locations whilst in the Brighton area, however, part our brief was to stay within certain parts of Brighton, so to lessen the risk of any of us getting lost. At first Josh and I found it slightly difficult trying to find the perfect spot for each specific camera shot, so it took us a short while to commence with our filming. Despite this, once we had found one location for one of our shots, it seemed to be easier to find other locations for our other shots. Most of our filming took place o
utside, mainly in different streets/lanes. The first shot that we did was in an alleyway, as we felt that this reflected our idea of one of our female characters walking down a street drunkenly. Other places we filmed include the promenade, a couple of outside benches, and one interior location which was in a restaurant.


What did I do?
Personally, throughout the day I did a lot of the filming, as I feel that I was a lot happier behind the camera and Josh was confident enough to be in front of the camera. Examples of the shots that I did include, high angle and low angle, first person mode of address, close ups, and a few more. There were quite a few shots though that Josh did himself, a couple being the 360 pan and the POV. I'm not sure if this means that when it comes to filming for our video I will be the main camera person, it obviously depends on what the rest of my group think, particularly Casey, who was absent for this trip.

How am I going to use what I learnt in the production of my music video?
I have learnt a vast number of things from doing the Brighton Reccie, which I hope will transfer into our music video. One thing I know is that I am very camera shy and therefore it will be highly unlikely that I will appear in our video, however, I know that both Casey and Josh are happy too.
More important things that I have learnt include:
  • Time management - getting the perfect shot and location takes time, and you have to prepare for the unexpected. A good example of this would be whilst Josh and I were in Brighton and a yoghurt that I had packed as part of my lunch exploded in my bag, this set us back slightly as it meant I had to waste valuable time cleaning up the mess that it had made. Therefore, I have learnt that when filming for our music video I should not take a yoghurt with me, but more importantly, to give ourselves more time allowance.
  • Research and preparation - I have realised now that as a group we should have prepared more for this outing by doing a lot more research. Not only should we prepare for the shots we were told to do but to research other possible shots in relevance to our choice of song and its genre. This means that when it comes to filming our video I shall plan thoroughly what it is we want film, where and when.
When precisely am I going to carry out the reccie for my music video?
Personally, I feel that next weekend will be the perfect time for us to carry out our music video reccie, as it gives us this week to carry on exploring different locations and camera shots. So then hopefully by the end of this week we will have knowledge of where we are filming and would have practiced and researched enough for us to know what shots we are going to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment