Monday 8 November 2010

CH - Digipack mock-up

The image left is the initial ideas I had concerning our digipack design; after analysing the advertisement for Linkin Park, I decided to include many similar ideas. Here, I used a similar military font on a blank wall to display the title: like in the advert for Linkin Park, here I wished to connote authority, but in a satirical way, as any government sign denouncing 'technodancing' would be ludicrous. By using this font I was attempting to create an amusing comment on our state of society, our rapidly simaltaneously conforming and striving not to conform culture. However, the overall effect was not as aesthetically pleasing as I had hoped. The drawn figure is representative of a photograph, based on the suits photograph from my earlier design ideas; I really liked this idea, but decided this was not the best use of it.


The image above is the finalised preliminary design for the mock-up of our digipack.

Here, I was continuing my earlier ideas. I wanted to continue playing on ideas of postmodernism and the cult of youth, as these are popular within the indie genre and frequent within our research. By not showing their faces, the band are present but absent, a key idea in a theory by Goodwin. However, I also wanted it to be polysemic of a satirical 'advert vs art' example of postmodern media. By using the brick-work aesthetics, I was trying to encourage the urban, British appearance reminiscent of bands we have researched (taking inspiration from Pink Floyds famed album cover, in a postmodern fashion of homaging). The indexical signs of my digipack all relate to British culture, rebellion, and the cult of youth. To further the ideas explored here, the colouring of the images will have to be considered carefully. I very much hope Rosie and Josh feel this digipack is appropriate.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it - I think it is very much appropriate. I particularly like the front cover with the use of the black strip over the eyes and the sign saying 'technodanceaphobic'. These aesthetics definitely add to the urban/youth appeal, boding well with the genre of the band and their music. I like the idea of our digipak being post modern in a polysemic way; referring to the 'advert vs art' effect of the digipak. I think this is one of the best ways to draw in the attention of the audience as well as the British/urban look having a verisimilitude effect, because the realistic approach attracts the reader. Good job Casey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If our digipack is being used to sell a single, then I feel that the track listings should feature a B-side, or possible a remix. I've looked into The Enemy's previous album releases and have see that they also like to cover songs by other artists' mainly from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete