Friday 19 November 2010

CH - Editing

As agreed, Josh has taken on the role as majority editor in our piece, with Rosie and I as primary directors and producers. However, Rosie and I have both been engaging in editing segments of the video to help impart our ideas into the video.
The image left is a screen shot of my editing process in Premiere Elements.

  • I downloaded all the clips from the 'good boy' shoot into our directory.

  • I roughly pasted a sequence of these shots into the appropriate timing
  • I finely cut these clips to fit the fast-paced cutting rate
  • I experimented with lighting and contrast (eg. turning them both up to give higher definition of image)
  • I experimented with black and white, to give higher definition without degrading the image quality into pixelated
  • I cut some of the clips from the original edit to sync with the track more appropriately
The image right is a screen shot of one clip that I chose to edit. I directed this clip, of Josh (acting) running along the road and jumping around a lit sign.

I liked the aesthetics of this and directed it thus, because I feel it adds to the chaotic nature of our video (from extreme darkness to entropic light and colour). Also, it builds on certain key signifiers, such as the cult of youth and the indexical signs of rebellion (as it portrays a young man here acting in a manner that is not expected of society. Also, the use of a safety sign rather than, say, a wall, gives the impression that this youth has little care for authority and disregards societies rules).
Here is a shot example from our shoot on wednesday of our band performance. I also began to edit the band shots into our first chorus, and currently the sync effect is working nicely.
Josh gave a very promising performance, but we may need more shots to prevent repetition; we currently have about three minutes of performance shots, but cut down to workable footage we may find this is not enough.
The aesthetics of the band shots work really well, however. They contrast nicely to the conceptual narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment