Monday 22 November 2010

RC - Advert for music video (mock up), continued

After the construction of my preliminary advertisement I received feedback from the rest of my group and the rest of my class; all comments seemed to be quite positive, considering that this was only my first attempt. However, I knew that much more development was needed to be made in order to create a promotional text that reached the A grade standard...

With my first advertisement the image that I had incorporated was one that was not actually of the band and therefore did not provide this product with a verisimilitude effect; an appearance of reality. Including an image that is of the band was one of my top priorities so I took it upon myself to capture a number of photographs whilst filming the band performance sequence. I took advantage of the fact this was most likely going to be the only time that the band members were all together and in the right clothing.

My aim was to take a photograph that captured the essence of a typical indie/rock boy band, so I asked the members to do a series of poses in order to produce a wealth of images that would provide me a range of aesthetics that related to the genre of the band.

Here is a small selection of the photographs I took:

In the two photographs below I specifically asked the boys to pose with their bodies turned away from the camera because I was trying to replicate one of the designs that Casey had come up with for the digipak. However, it did not turn out as effective as I would have hoped, which I think is down to location. I also think that this sort of pose does not allow audience connection, and although this can be considered as a feature of the indie genre some audience connection is necessary for a print text to have impact.

Although this photograph is rather dark and the band members faces are not clearly visible I do really like the concept of this image, as it relates nicely to one of the still shots we took from a previous reccie of the band sequence.

I like the idea of the band being spotlighted, as it gives their image a strong element of fame and recognition. It is clear that editing, through the use of Photoshop, is needed for this image to be of the best standard and if I decide to use this image I will go ahead and do just that. However, in terms of genre-specific ideology, this could be seen as going against the conventions of an indie band, who are most commonly known for denying the advertising aspects of the music industry, opting to deny any funds from huge conglomerates that would take away their indepedence; indepedence being an element that is of most importance to them. Most bands of this genre view music videos as a work of art and not as promotional texts, therfore I do not think that this image would be completely appropriate for the band's advertisement despite the pleasing aesthetics.

I quite like this photograph and I think it will be a lot better after being edited in Photoshop; using the crop tool will help improve the background and I think that the brightness/contrast needs to be adjusted so that it is more enhanced. I think it is highly likely that I will go ahead and use this photo to see if it will work in a print text, if not my second choice will be the photograph above this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment