Tuesday 9 November 2010

RC - Advert for music video (mock up)

It was my role in the group to create one of the adverts promoting our chosen music track and it's band. For my analysis of an advertisement I looked into the band 'Warpaint' and their promotional material for their new album 'The Fool', after doing so I decided that I would try to follow the format of their advert when producing my own. This is because the layout of this particular advert seems quite conventional and I personally feel it is one that works most effectively in terms of the genre of our song.

This is my initial idea:


As a group we had decided that for our digipak and our advertisements we would only be promoting the single and not the album, this is why it differs slightly to 'Warpaint''s advertisement. When choosing the image for this advert I was looking for a picture that captured the essence of the song, 'Technodanceaphobic', and I feel that it does work to some extent. The original image looks a lot duller than this one displayed, this is because I altered the contrast, enhancing it to +73. This helped in bringing out all the different colours and to sharpen the effect so to give the image much more of an impact, in terms of representing a 'good night out'. This picture has a range of connotations, which I feel fit perfectly with this song track.

However, despite the image being effective in its own way I am still unsure if whether or not it is right one to use, particularly if you look at the ad that I analysed, where the image being used is one of the band itself. I decided to play around with a few other photos in Photoshop...

With these two images I played around with some filters; the one on the left has the effect of 'ink outlines' (I also altered the saturation) and the one on the right has a 'film grain' effect.
I really like the aesthetics of these images, and I think that if the people photographed were infact the band it would work really well. This would
mean only three people being presented (minus the female). I chose to play around with this particular image because I was inspired by the pictures that Casey put up on the blog for her digipak development; I believe that the concept of capturing the band in walking motion from behind is a really effective one.
Going back to my initial idea for the advert I particularly like the font of the text; it is one that Casey found on the website dafont.com yesterday. She has also used this font in her digipak, which is why I primarily chose to use it for my advertisement, so that our work interlinked.
This font works really well because I feel that the style of it matches the name of the song, 'Technodanceaphobic', specifically because I think the font is quite 'techno' it self.
Just like the advert I analysed I chose to include an image of the cover for the single (although theirs was an image of their album cover) so to make sure that the audience reading the text would have an identifiable image to look for if they are wanting to buy the single.
When thinking about including reviews I felt that NME and Q Magazine would be preferential critics because I feel that these are the magazines that 'The Enemy' would appear in.
It seems that when copying the advert from microsoft word to paint so transform it into a jpeg image I lost some text; the five stars at the bottom of the advert should have the name of 'Q Magazine' next to it.

Looking at my advertisement as a whole I am reasonably happy about it; I like the format, I like the font of the text, I like the image of the cover for the single, however, I am still very much uncertain about the main image, as I feel that an image of the band themselves would be more appropriate.
I think that this advertisement works a lot better than my first one, especially with the image on this one being horizontal rather than portrait, as I think that this works much more effectively with the rest of the layout.

3 comments:

  1. These are some really good ideas Rosie. I like the walking photo, reminds me of The Beatles' Abbey Road, which could be seen as a reference through British Rock bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very perceptive observation Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CASEY - I really like this idea rosie, the layout of the image works so well with the font. The idea of including the single is good also, it looks more professional. welldone!

    ReplyDelete